Spinc & Derrybawn
Duration: About 4.5 hours
An alternative to the Spinc walk, this is a longer walk that loops to the south to take in Mullacor and Derrybawn mountains returning via part of the Wicklow Way.
- Starting from the car park at the Upper Lough in Glendalough, take the path southwards to the base of the Poullanass Waterfall. Cross the bridge and follow the path uphill that runs beside the waterfall.
- At the top of the waterfall, a number of paths head off in different directions. Take the right-hand path, continuing uphill.
- After the first bend, there is a stile on the right which is easy identified by the sign warning about the need for appropriate outdoor footwear etc. Cross the stile and head steeply uphill. On reaching the top of the path, the reward is a spectacular view over Glendalough and the surrounding hills.
- The Spinc is a ridge extending to the west parallel to the Upper Lough. Follow the clearly visible boardwalk path along this ridge. The path is level and the easy walk along the ridge allows time to enjoy the views.
- When the forest bears away to the left, leave the boardwalk and follow the path to the pass between Lugduff and Mullacor. Use the boardwalk here to avoid as much of the bog as possible ! Climb steeply to the summit of Mullacor.
- Descend via the eastern shoulder of Mullacor to reach the path along the Derrybawn Ridge to the summit of Derrybawn mountain.
- Descend via the steep path to the forest. Cross the stile and continue on the path to join the Wicklow Way. Keeping on the Wicklow Way, return to Poullanass Waterfall and Glendalough.